Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Searching for Nessie

Yesterday (Tuesday, June 25th), we explored the Scottish Highlands with our amazing tour guide, Ian. Ian is quite the expert on all things Scotland – knowing literally everything about Scottish history from the birth of Mary, Queen of Scotts through the Jacobite risings. Our road trip started with Glen Nevis: the place where they shot Quiditch for the Harry Potter films and village scenes in Braveheart and Rob Roy. The area is absolutely breathtaking – I completely understand why Hollywood continues to pick this location for filming!

We then traveled to some castle ruins and saw one of the Scottish canals in action. I think it's very neat (and honestly amusing) that there are ancient ruins scattered around the country – you can have a picnic in thousand year old structure remnants like any other ordinary park. It's too bad America is such a young country....
Dad's got Scottish swag

"I'm king of the world!"
Anyway, after a shopping trip to a woolen mill (I got a wool blanket and Dad got a great hat!), we went to Glenfinnan, another Harry Potter filming location. We climbed to the top a hill overlooking the other mountains and the bridge where the Hogwarts Express shots were taken, and I have never seen more stunning views in my life. I felt like I was on top of the world, longing for Hogwarts to be standing there in front of me. Unfortunately, my muggle eyes could not see it, but I did very much enjoy the scenery.
We drove to our final destination, Urquhart Castle at Loch Ness. I was blown away (yet again) by the beauty of the loch. It is so BIG – no wonder Nessy loves it!* The grounds are immensely interesting; its history spans centuries and its walls witnessed so many important Scottish moments. Urquhart Castle has definitely been my favorite place that we've visited for its amazing location and story.

Urquart Castle
Our tour guide, Ian
Even though I'm excited to head to England, I must say, I'm very sad to leave Scotland. I know I've said it a million times, but it's such a beautiful country. The people are so friendly, and they have so much pride for their history and culture. I hope I return again soon because I am completely in love with Scotland!

Thanks and gig 'em,
Rachel
Wait, what.....
*To clarify, we did not see Nessy much to my disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment