Sunday, June 23, 2013

Stirling Castle


This morning we did a bit of shopping at the Heathergems headquarters where they use dyed heather stems to make unique, Scottish jewelry. (My Mom and I each got very pretty heather-necklaces.) Then we headed south from Pitlochry to Stirling and beheld the marvelous Stirling Castle. Now I've never actually watched Braveheart (it's a real crime seeing as I'm such a big movie buff), but I could still envision Mel Gibson's William Wallace giving his troops as rousing of a speech as the iconic one in the film: 


I always enjoy going to places as old as Stirling Castle because it makes the time passed not seem so long. It may sound a bit cheesy, but I really do try to envision what life was like back in those days: I find it a lot easier to relate to ancient times when I myself am walking around in the very same location where kings and queens from Medieval times lived. It makes them seem more...human...not just the generic population that occupied a chunk of time in history.

21st Century meets 16th Century
Stirling Castle truly is full of rich history, much of which was told to us by a very enthusiastic "foot soldier" and his friend the "cook" (both were very good actors, I might add). We learned a lot about Scottish battle techniques, as well as the horribly savage ways they had to live and eat. I wholeheartedly admit that I am grateful for my -- speaking in British terminology -- posh way of life as a 21st century woman. 

Despite the less-than-ideal conditions, I understand why the Scots were so passionate about defending their castle and land. The scenery is just breathtaking: no matter which direction you look, there are vast, green hills rolling beauty under overcast skies.
Stunning view from the Stirling Castle
Mom & Dad on Faskally Loch
We left the glorious highland view from Stirling Castle and rode back to Pitlochry for another delicious dinner. Because it stays light outside til nearly 11 PM, my Mom, Dad and I decided to take a walk down to Faskally Loch, where hydroelectricity is generated through a dam. Again, the scenery was spectacular, and we even learned something about renewable energy!

Even though the weather was very cold and windy today, I am falling more and more in love with Scotland and its fascinating culture. Off to Edinburgh tomorrow! 

Thanks and gig 'em,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment