Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Afternoon Tea (and being Cheeky Monkeys)

I just cannot emphasize how much I am in love with Leeds!!! This is such a wonderful place, and I never want to leave! (Okay, I do miss everyone at home....but I'm going to be very sad to go, and I'm saying that only having been here a few days!) My love for the English culture was strengthened even more when we had the privilege of enjoying "Afternoon Tea". Rachel taught us Americans everything we need to know about having a proper afternoon tea: what types of finger sandwhiches are served, how to properly pour and treat the tea, how to spread your clotted cream and jam, etc. The tea and treats were delicious, but I must say, the ice water was the most enjoyable part for everyone because there's been a heat wave all week! I thought Yorkshire would be chillier, but I guess I brought the warm weather from Houston (sorry Leeds....).

Anna and I are authentically English, don't you think?


Beautiful stain-glass roof
So much exquisite detail!
After our scrumptious cultural experience, we window shopped through all of the gorgeous Victorian Arcades (an open air mall with a glass roof that keeps out the rain and snow) that identify Leeds. You see, these are very important in British history because they survived the bombing during World War II, unlike so many other buildings from previous eras. Each is beautifully ornate and feminine; you can't help but stop in awe of their elegance, as well as the posh shops that are the current tenants. 


Thin Mints, my favorites!
As we moved from arcade to arcade, we discovered some American gems: on this side of the Atlantic, they have TK Maxx (instead of TJ....no idea why.....) AND WE FOUND GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!!!! I have no apologies for freaking out -- they're such a big deal when the Girl Scouts sell them back home, and for them to be in a store IN ENGLAND...crazy!!!

After parting ways with Rachel for a little while (we miss her already!), the other girls and I headed to some staple-British shops, Primark and Top Shop. Primark is absolutely fantastic because it's as cheap in price as Forever 21, but with better styles and quality. Top Shop is a bit pricier, but they still have really nice and fashionable clothes. Here in England, everyone dresses so much cuter than back home (no Nike shorts and baggy t-shirts), and it's fun to want to look presentable every day. I'm sure I'll get tired of it soon enough, but I wish the States were a bit more formal -- we'd look so much nicer!

After a less-than-exciting burrito (it was no Freebirds or even Chipotle), we headed back home where several of us foreign exchange students chatted in the Common Room and shared YouTube videos that are popular in our home countries. Apparently the "Leprechaun in Alabama" never made it out of the US, but "Fenton the Dog" and its subsequent parodies are all the rage in Australia. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday :)


Thanks and gig 'em,
Rachel

PS- The title is simply my way of incorporating some of the fantastic English terminology into my vocabulary; we've had so much fun and are completely baffled by the things these Brits say!



No comments:

Post a Comment