Thursday, July 11, 2013

Bowling, Temple Newsam and more!

I'm regretting not having posted anything yesterday because now I have to catch-up on the past two, very eventful days! Yesterday started with a skit in class: a simulation of a traditional Elizabethan dinner. We randomly were assigned roles, and, of course, I got the part of servant.....All fun and games aside, it was a neat way to learn about roles back then/make everyone thankful for the way things are now. 
Post-Nando's smiles
After class, we all headed to the City Center in order to eat at a very highly regarded chicken restaurant, Nando's. The food was, indeed, delicious, but our experience was especially wonderful because -- drumroll please --  they had drinks with ICE and FREE REFILLS!!! Do you have any idea how few and far between either of those luxuries are anywhere but America? I'm not even kidding, I think the ice I used in my glass for that one meal exceeding all the ice I've had overseas. It was fantastic. Of course, we went shopping afterward (again), and then came back to meet up with the rest of the gang.
Champions of bowling
The planned social event for that evening was nothing foreign to me, however I am so glad we got to experience it as a group. The Leeds International Summer School embarked on an adventure in bowling, and I must say, it was nothing short of exciting. I've bowled since I was a little kid, yet I still lost to someone who needed an explanation on how to roll the ball down the lane because he's never played before!! How does that even happen?! Despite my terrible game (I did end up doing alright the next round), I had so much fun hanging out with my new friends. It's times like these when I realize how similar we all really are: it could be a bowling alley anywhere in the world with people from all sorts of countries, and everyone will still be laughing at their gutter balls and receiving high-fives for their strikes. Sorry to be so cheesy, but it's true! To celebrate, we went to a local pub and had a great rest of the night.

We definitely were meant to wear these clothes
Today, our class got to examine some ancient books dating as far back as 1602. I was quite nervous to be handling such delicate and historic artifacts; luckily nothing went wrong, and it was a very neat experience. We took a lunch break and then embarked on our first field trip: Temple Newsam, a country house located right outside Leeds. The home was exquisite: each room displayed a different style (Baroque, Georgian, Jacobean, etc.) and had so much personality. I particularly loved the wallpaper and wish someone could reproduce it for me! Aside from all of the historical significance, the estate itself is a very fun place (it also helped that I adore the people I was with). After passing by a kiddy dress-up activity, we couldn't resist but to play along! We explored the gardens, as well, soaking in the spectacular weather and admiring the great beauty of Temple Newsam. The fun continued this evening when I introduced my friends to Wagama, which of course they all devoured. Soon we'll go out again, and I can't wait to see what other memories we make in my new favorite city, Leeds!

Laying in the grass, giggling
Picture time!
Thanks and gig 'em,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment