Friday, July 12, 2013

Say Cheese

Castle Howard
I now have a new favorite place in this world: Castle Howard has to be one of the most beautiful destinations I've ever been to. The following pictures just don't do it justice. We arrived there this morning for our second field trip in the Country Houses class, and even the drive up there was wonderful. Temple Newsam is pretty much right inside the heart of Leeds, but Castle Howard is deep within the Yorkshire countryside. As you enter the estate, grand monuments pass by until you finally approach the magnificent house: a Baroque masterpiece that has had a leading role in many films and television series, most notably both versions of Brideshead Revisited:


Fairly certain that's Matthew Rhys as Mr. Darcy

Today was an especially exciting day to visit Castle Howard because they've been filming a BBC adaptation of Death Comes to PemberleyPD James's sequel to Pride and Prejudice. It was quite exciting to see all the film crews, and we even got a few glimpses of the cast!

The home itself is absolutely breathtaking: the exterior is grand and gorgeous, and the gardens surrounding it are unmatched. There is a magnificent fountain anchoring the landscape, and trails leading to various landmarks, such as a temple and mausoleum, give visitors a chance to behold Castle Howard and all its glory.


I was blown away by this stunning chapel
Ancient frescos catch the daylight
Artsy (and yes, candid) picture in gorgeous Yorkshire
Inside, the home is jaw-dropping: as you enter the main reception room, your senses are overwhelmed because there are so many ornate details. The dome and frescos surrounding the grand staircase are beautiful, and all the subsequent rooms to follow were splendid, as well. What makes Castle Howard especially appealing is the fact that the Howards still live here. There is a certain lively characteristic that can only be found in a home with a family in it; the library has pictures of their children and the bedrooms have real, 21st century mattresses so guest can be comfortable when staying here. I cannot fathom living in such a heavenly residence (though I wish I was), but I'm glad it's still given the love and attention it deserves.

After touring Castle Howard, we all found ourselves a bit hungry, so we headed to the cafe located at the foot of the grounds. Our group chatted with our lovely (and quite fun) professor, Kerry, and stumbled upon a very delicious cheese.... Now I realize that I love a lot of things, I'll admit to that in a heartbeat....but cheese has a very, very special place in my heart that few things can match (except maybe popcorn and chocolate). So, when I discovered that several people in my group of friends were also cheese fanatics, I was delighted. I was even more excited when we decided to go and buy this delicous cheese for lunch at the estate's deli. It was so scrumptious and absolutely fantastic that I could very openly eat a giant slice of cheese all on its own, and not only avoid judgment, but also be joined in this activity with others. Basically I love the places I've been and the people I'm with. And cheese.

Thanks and gig 'em,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment